Friday, October 2, 2015

Socratic Seminar Thoughts

I was in the inner circle of the socratic seminar this time around and and we talked about a lot of different topics (a lot of them straying from the book), but there was one thing I mentioned at the end of the seminar that I would have liked to talk deeper about. It was on the subject of the three species of Malacandra and how they all work together,  unlike humans who are constantly battling each other. In my opinion, I think the three species are bound together by Oyarsa. They have a common "God" to look up to and believe in and that makes it easier to coexist. There is proof of Oyarsa's existence. He can be (somewhat) seen and he talks to the species. The species know that if they do anything "bent" then they will be punished by Oyarsa. On Earth however, there are thousands of Gods worshipped. There is not one single religion, which creates a lot of diversity, and also a lot differences that can/are fought over. There is no proof of a God on Earth, so all religions believe their God is the real God. I personally don't believe in any God. I have no proof of the existence of one so I don't want to spend my time worshipping something that might not even be real. However, if I did have proof, like Oyarsa, then I would probably do everything that God asked me to. I think if people had definitive proof of a God that frowned upon fighting and "evil" people would coexist better. If I knew I could be "poofed" out of existence by doing something wrong, then I would never do anything wrong and I think most people would agree with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment