Sunday, October 11, 2015

Reflections

My sister, Josie, has played a significant role in shaping who I am today. She is two years older than I am and goes to the University of Victoria. We have always been very close and she has always been my role model, ever since we were little kids. I used to follow her around everywhere, copy everything she wore, and do everything she did. There's a video of us when we were little and I refused to do something until I saw her doing it, and then of course I HAD to do it. Now that we're older and we've grown up and made friends (that don't consist of each other and our neighbors) we have become very different from each other. Our styles, qualities, and many of our interests are no longer the same. I admire how confident she is, whether or not she knows it. She doesn't care what people think about her and watching her live like this has seriously encouraged me to be more like her. She is very genuine and intelligent and has some of the most interesting facts stored in her brain. She has introduced me to so many of my favorite things, like books, music, movies, etc. She has inspired me to embrace my inner nerd. I know a lot of people look up to their older siblings and I think a lot of us younger folk always worry that maybe our older siblings don't love and admire us the same way that we do of them. Josie constantly reassures me that she loves me, though, by being the best big sister. And although we are very different, one of the things we do have in common is our sense of humor. We have the strangest senses of humor and can laugh for hours about the most ridiculous things. I've always been told to marry someone funny, but also I think you should generally surround yourself with people who make you laugh, which Josie constantly does. I think I am "my true self" (if we even have one of those) when I am around her. Even though we don't live in the same house anymore, or even the same country, I know she will always be my role model and my best friend. :)    

1 comment: